5 Astonishing Facts About Tooth Decay
Did you know that only 44% of children brush
their teeth twice a day?
The Surgeon General calls tooth decay the single most common chronic childhood disease – five times more common than asthma and seven times more common than the common cold!
Here are some more astonishing facts about
childhood tooth decay*:
- Cavities are four times more common than asthma among adolescents aged 14-17 years (15%).
- Of the four million children born in the U.S. each year, over half will have cavities by the time they reach second grade.
- American children miss more than 750,000 school days (51 million school hours!) each year due to dental conditions. That’s more missed school days than are caused by the flu each year!
- Over 16 million U.S. children have tooth decay, which equates to more than 25% of children between two and five years old, and 50% of those between 12 and 15 years old.
- All this can be prevented! A child’s preventative care program should include:
- Healthy diet
- Dental visits twice yearly
- Brushing and flossing twice daily
KidSmiles Pediatric Dentistry believes that education is the key to preventing childhood tooth decay. We’re committed to providing a forum where parents and pediatric dental professionals can discuss preventative dental care. We encourage parents, educators and doctors to check back frequently for more fun facts, articles and activities!